Mike Huckabee ends Fox News show as he looks at presidential race
By: Catalina Camia
Former Arkansas governor Mike Huckabee said farewell to his Fox News program on Saturday night as he considers another presidential bid.
“I won’t make a decision about running until late in the spring of 2015, but the continued chatter has put Fox News into a position that is not fair to them nor is it possible for me to openly determine political and financial support to justify a race,” Huckabee said in a statement posted on Facebook.
“The honorable thing to do at this point is to end my tenure here at Fox,” he continued. “As much as I have loved doing the show, I cannot bring myself to rule out another presidential run. So as we say in television, stay tuned!”
Huckabee has been talking to potential donors and strategists about a possible 2016 race. Fox News said in November that it was “evaluating” Huckabee’s status with the network, given his political activities.
A favorite of religious conservatives, the ex-governor and ordained minister won the 2008 Iowa presidential caucuses and other nominating contests in mostly southern states. Huckabee began hosting his Fox News program later that year.
He was leading some early presidential polls for the 2016 GOP nomination that were taken last year, but has since lost ground to Jeb Bush.
By ending his program now, Huckabee avoids any potential conflicts between his political ambitions and TV work. Fox News has a history of terminating the contracts of contributors with White House ambitions, including those of Newt Gingrich and Rick Santorum as they geared up for their presidential campaigns.